Talk to a Personal Injury Lawyer in North Kansas City, MO If You Have a Negligence Claim

by | Dec 5, 2017 | Lawyer

Top Stories



If you have been injured in an accident as the result of another party’s negligence, you need to speak to an attorney who handles personal injury legal cases. He or she can help you maximize the compensation you are owed for your injuries. Just make sure to file your claim within five years.

File Early Instead of Later

Usually, it is best to speak to a personal injury lawyer in North Kansas City, MO soon after an accident occurs. When you make contact early, you can more easily remember the details of the accident. You also avoid any difficulties that may arise when filing a claim later. Because the statute of limitations imposes certain filing requirements, you need to make sure you stay within those guidelines.

For instance, as noted, the limit for filing of a claim with a personal injury lawyer is normally five years. Negligence covers claims related to vehicle accidents, toxic torts, and slip-and-fall accidents. If a personal injury resulted in wrongful death, you have three years in which to file a claim.

Gathering the Evidence for Your Claim

When you are injured in an accident involving negligence, you should take care of your injuries right away. After receiving medical care, contact a personal injury lawyer. You will need to provide documentation for your injuries. This means that you should obtain copies of medical bills and accident reports and keep invoices and receipts. Keep notes of any new symptoms or the times you spend off from work as well.

You will also need witness information if you can obtain it. Include each witness’s statement and his or her contact details. Never provide any statements to people other than the police. You should not take any further actions without speaking to a personal injury lawyer first.

You can find out more about your rights when you visit the website of a lawyer who regularly takes care of personal injury claims. Do all you can to receive the compensation you are entitled to receive.